What is Construction Partnering?
Construction Partnering is a structured process that brings a design and construction team together regularly throughout the life of a project. Partnering provides a space for communication, improved strategy, and issue resolution. Over time, partnered teams build trust, a reliable predictor of high performing teams. Through Partnering, fragmented teams coalesce and unify around a shared objective: successful project delivery.
Typical Project Delivery Timeline:
A neutral professional facilitator
- Guides the Partnering process and balance the power in the room
- Provides a road map for how you will Partner
- Co-created by the team in the kick-off session, establishes goals and the strategies to meet them
Issue Resolution Process
- Established during kick-off session
- Sent to the team electronically once a month to track progress toward goals
- Held at least quarterly to update goals, identify issues and resolve them
Lessons Learned Session
- Upon project closeout
Who Uses Partnering?
Partnering has been embraced by owner organizations and project teams across the construction industry.
Partnering is the “how-to” of collaboration and has been established as a best practice by:
*The Federal Highway Administration* *Design-Build Institute of America* *Construction Industry Institute*
"SFO is able to realize a significant reduced cost per square foot in the range of 20-30% as compared to other aviation projects...
This is the result of our Partnering!"
– Geoff Neumayr
SFO International Airport Deputy Director
IPI Board of Advisors
Our membership is comprised of more than 100 organizations. See our member gallery!